Runners Knee

As a keen runner for many years I have been lucky to avoid any ‘long term’ injuries. However, hitting the roads and field for hours on end certainly takes it's toll, and certain imbalances can 'bully' certain joints. So it should come as no surprise then that knee pain is a very common injury for runners, and can literally stop us in our tracks.

As a young adult I was given orthotics to combat knee pain. I was also put into a stability shoe which was designed to stop me over-pronating as I played my sports. My knee pain disappeared - Great result! Or so I thought….

The orthotics supported the arch of my foot and over time my foot mechanics changed. It was no coincidence then when I began to suffer with hip injuries repeatedly shortly after, and had to take time out from my passion, running. What actually occurred was that my foot mechanics where changed and the imbalance that I had experience at the very beginning started to 'bully' my hip instead of my knee.

Fortunately, training and working in an industry of forward-thinking fitness professionals, I have been lucky enough to work with highly-respected individuals who have developed me professionally and taught me the significance of not only hip and knee mechanics, but how failure to pay attention to foot and ankle mechanics can lead to long-term injuries. Although, all too often we seem to forget this in our training. Fitness classes tend to promote a lot of hip mobility and rarely foot and metatarsal mobility.

It wasn't until I learnt to exercise my feet and ankles functionally, that my body worked more as a whole and my pains and niggles disappeared. This has also been proven with many clients who may have 'gaps' in their biomechanics. We can target the foot, hip or spine to create an environment for allowing their ‘runners knee’ to improve, meaning they can get back to training, faster, stronger and in a safe way.

With the correct training we can all promote the right environment bio-mechanically to allow us to enjoy our passions, injury-free. I encourage you to check-out this article below from a popular running magazine which explains how working hips can trigger great results and get runners back on the road quickly.

Dis-function at the ankle can cause numerous problems in sports enthusiasts, and this is why we often choose the ‘right’ trainers or see the podiatrist. We have 27 bones in the foot for a reason - they all move in different directions to serve a purpose, relative to the foot’s position. Just like the hip, if we help runners' feet, a healthy balance of good hip and foot function will create the best environment for runners' knees promoting a long, enjoyable and successful running career.

Ben Linfield

Comments

Security Check
Please enter the text below
CaptchaImage
Can't read text above? Try another text.
preyasi
Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 5:39 am
preyasi
CSGO is a game where two teams play against each other. You can either play online with players from around the world or play offline with bots. Another option is to play with a LAN network, where a network of computers is physically connected together and you can gather friends to play together in the same place.
csgo accounts
selfie
Thursday, Aug 30, 2018 6:45 am
selfie
Provides multiple learning environment of International standard with holistic system of education at an affordable cost for the successful life of young generation.
Best BCA College in Dehradun
Paramedical College North india
Agriculture college in dehradun
selfie
Friday, Aug 24, 2018 6:07 am
selfie
Glad to visit your blog, I look forward to more good articles and I think we all like to thank so many good articles, blog to share with us.
Rashpal singh dhaliwal
Rashpal singh dhaliwal
Rashpal singh dhaliwal
Rashpal singh dhaliwal
bhushanverma
Monday, May 28, 2018 6:21 am
bhushanverma
DPS are committed to provide our students with a sound knowledge base with emphasis on building strong fundamentals in the principles of education, moral values and strong character and concrete the same by the way of continuous training with psychological methods.
Best School in rajasthan
CBSE Boarding School in NCR
Top 10 CBSE school in Rajasthan
Admission in best School Rajasthan
Priyanka Kapoor
Friday, May 11, 2018 5:52 am
Priyanka Kapoor
VIGYAN DHARA is the first Indian IIT-JEE/ NEET/AIIMS coaching Institute which is purely based on Historical Indian Education System that is the Gurukul Tradition of Education where students leave their homes during their studies.
PMT coaching institute in hisar
Acting school in Delhi
IIT coaching institute in hisar
Priyanka Kapoor
Friday, May 11, 2018 5:52 am
Priyanka Kapoor
Our academic pursuits, along with a range of extracurricular activities, help in honing a child's skills and ensuring that he/she grows to be a mature and responsible citizen.
top school in greater noida
admission 2018 top school in greater Noida
bhushanverma
Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:01 am
bhushanverma
Apple products are revered for its quality, precision and great design. SRSG started its operations as Apple technology partners in the year 1997.
Apple product dealers in delhi
Apple authorized service center in Kolkata
System Integration service providers
FM Channel License
Apple Product Dealers in Ahmedabad
ipad dealers in Mumbai
Priyanka Kapoor
Saturday, May 5, 2018 5:17 am
Priyanka Kapoor
CGC Jhanjeri is one of the best colleges in the North India and we are providing the best quality of education in various courses. We have Faculty of Engineering offering B.Tech (Computer Science & Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering) and M. Tech courses in CSE, ECE.
Best Engineering college in Chandigarh
Engineering college in punjab
Cgc Admission
MBA college in punjab
cgc placement
MBA with best placements college in chandigarh
Sarah
Monday, Feb 19, 2018 5:48 am
Sarah
Sport enthusiasts often find themselves in similar situations as yourself, but no injury can hold the back from achieving their goals. For runners, the knees and hips are predisposed to injuries, making recovery a bit difficult. The Squat Technique however, is a good starting point towards a smooth recovery. The path towards success is not always easy, which shouldn't discourage, but motivate us.
addam
Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 8:40 am
addam
It's impressive to see how far someone can reach just by following its passion. You fought to find a cure for your hip and knee just to be able to run again. This injury lawyer in San Antonio definitely know a lot about this kind of situations only that in this case it's the work-field we are talking about. If all of us knew how to stay away from trouble and care for our safety...
Anonymous
Saturday, Dec 2, 201712:30 pm
Anonymous
Runners can face many problems for their knees and their knees can be injured also while running. So, we can get instructions from write my essay service to protect our knees while running. We must care about ourselves and must use perfect things which can protect our knees.

STAY IN TOUCH WITH US